Episode 97: Improving Your Django and Python Developer Experience
Feb 11, 2022 49m
How often have you thought about your Developer Experience (DX)? How do you improve your workflow, find documentation, and simplify code formatting? This week on the show, Adam Johnson is here to talk about his new book, “Boost Your Django DX.”
Adam provides advice on improving your developer experience, specifically inside Django and within Python. We discuss tools to simplify code formatting and linting.
Adam shares a couple of his own Django tools designed to simplify development and keep your projects updated. He also covers documentation resources for finding answers quickly.
Course Spotlight: Django View Authorization: Restricting Access
This course covers how to restrict your web pages to users with different roles through Django view authorization. You’ll learn about
HttpRequest.user objects, decorators that authenticate views, and ways to notify your users with the Django messages framework.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:53 – The Django Project Technical Board
- 00:04:08 – Change in the release cadence for Django
- 00:06:08 – Kaizen, continous improvement, and helping others improve
- 00:10:23 – Common ways to improve developer experience
- 00:14:06 – Sponsor: Scout APM
- 00:14:54 – Developer documentation tools
- 00:20:24 – Bang shortcuts when searching with DuckDuckGo
- 00:22:37 – Who is the intended audience for the book?
- 00:23:33 – Managing secrets and giving general advice
- 00:26:49 – Writing books to fill in the gaps
- 00:29:12 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:30:24 – Topics for the blog, favicons, and type hints
- 00:39:22 – What are your recent Django-related projects?
- 00:42:05 – Sources for Django news
- 00:45:01 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:45:59 – What do you want to learn next?
- 00:47:43 – Shout-outs and social connections
- 00:48:43 – Thanks and goodbye
- Adam Johnson’s Home Page
- Boost Your Django DX
- “Boost Your Django DX” Released - Adam Johnson
- Django Software Foundation | Django
- Kaizen - Wikipedia
- black: The Uncompromising Code Formatter · PyPI
- isort: isort your imports, so you don’t have to.
- Flake8: Your Tool For Style Guide Enforcement — flake8 4.0.1 documentation
- DevDocs API Documentation
- DuckDuckGo !Bang
- Django Chat | Adam Johnson - Boost Your Django DX
- Podcast.__init__ - Improve Your Productivity By Investing In Developer Experience
- How to Add a Favicon to Your Django Site - Adam Johnson
- Favicon Generator for perfect icons on all browsers
- Introducing django-browser-reload: Automatically Reload Your Browser in Development - Adam Johnson
- django-browser-reload · PyPI
- django-upgrade · PyPI
- pyupgrade · PyPI
- Django News
- Learn more about Ableton Push | Ableton