Episode 106: Class Constructors & Pythonic Image Processing
Apr 15, 2022 58m
Do you know the difference between creating a class instance and initializing it? Would you like an interactive tour of the Python Pillow library? This week on the show, Christopher Trudeau is here, and he’s brought another batch of PyCoder’s Weekly articles and projects.
We talk about the recent Real Python tutorial “Image Processing With the Python Pillow Library.” It walks you through manipulating, filtering, and creating images from scratch.
Christopher shares an article about Python class constructors, exploring the two-step instance creation and initialization process.
We also have a couple of discussions this week. The first is about contributing to open source projects. The second topic is about searching large codebases before adding features.
We cover several other articles and projects from the Python community, including the counter-intuitive rise of Python in scientific computing, preparation for interview questions, a project for adding pointer hell to Python, and a fast and powerful graphical user interface tool kit for Python with minimal dependencies.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:18 – Image Processing With the Python Pillow Library
- 00:11:10 – The Counter-Intuitive Rise of Python in Scientific computing
- 00:17:15 – 20 Python Interview Questions
- 00:25:48 – Sponsor: FusionAuth
- 00:26:25 – Python Class Constructors: Control Your Object Instantiation
- 00:31:17 – Do You Contribute to Open Source Projects?
- 00:42:43 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:44:08 – How To Search Large Codebases Before Adding a Feature?
- 00:49:34 – pointers.py: Bringing the Hell of Pointers to Python
- 00:52:16 – DearPyGui: A fast and powerful Graphical User Interface Toolkit for Python
- 00:57:11 – Thanks and goodbye
- Image Processing With the Python Pillow Library – Learn how to use the Python Pillow library to deal with images. Combine this with some NumPy to process images and create animations.
- The Counter-Intuitive Rise of Python in Scientific computing – Explore why Python’s ability to write code quickly and access more libraries can outperform heavily optimized compiled code.
- 20 Python Interview Questions – Practice up for that next interview. Questions about data structures, language concepts, and some common standard library functions.
- Python Class Constructors: Control Your Object Instantiation – Learn how class constructors work in Python and explore the two steps of Python’s instantiation process: instance creation and instance initialization.
- pointers.py: Bringing the Hell of Pointers to Python
- hoffstadt/DearPyGui: A fast and powerful Graphical User Interface Toolkit for Python with minimal dependencies
- Gonzalez & Woods, Digital Image Processing, 4th Edition | Pearson
- Pillow: Image Processing with Python
- Python Pillow
- danielgatis/rembg: Rembg is a tool to remove images background.
- Top 50 Python Interview Questions for Data Science | AnalytixLabs
- Programming FAQ — Python 3.10.4 documentation
- Episode #49: The Challenges of Developing Into a Python Professional – The Real Python Podcast
- PyCoder’s Weekly | Submit a Link
- awesome-python: Awesome Python Libraries and Resources
- Dear PyGui’s Documentation — Dear PyGui documentation
- ocornut/imgui: Dear ImGui: Bloat-free Graphical User interface for C++ with minimal dependencies
- Video Tutorials — Dear PyGui documentation