Episode 90: A Python Journey: Cyber Security, Automating AWS, and TDD
Dec 17, 2021 54m
The Python community continually grows, with many users coming from different languages and backgrounds. This week on the show, we talk with developer Hugh Tipping about his Python journey. Hugh is also a member of the Real Python community.
Hugh has a background in programming C and Perl and started to use Python in a cyber security job. He explains the way he used Python to search for malware. Hugh provides some suggestions for security packages and tools.
Recently Hugh has been working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and using the Boto3 library to automate services and manage credentials. We also discuss his affinity for test-driven development and the use of pytest.
Course Spotlight: Host Your Django Project on Heroku
In this course, you’ll learn how to host your Django project in the cloud for free and with little hassle. You’ll use Heroku, which takes the burden of infrastructure management off your shoulders.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:44 – How did you get introduced to Python?
- 00:05:52 – What types of tasks were you doing in cyber security?
- 00:10:21 – Why do you think Python is popular for cyber security?
- 00:14:57 – Python libraries to check for security vulnerabilities
- 00:18:07 – Sponsor: Cloudsmith
- 00:18:52 – Boto3 for managing AWS with Python
- 00:25:21 – What is your background with test-driven development?
- 00:33:58 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:35:22 – Finding Real Python and learning about Python tools
- 00:41:42 – Getting involved in the Real Python community
- 00:45:45 – What are excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:47:32 – What do you want to learn next?
- 00:53:14 – Thanks and goodbye
- An Introduction to the PyCQA — PyCQA Meta Documentation 1.0 documentation
- bandit · PyPI
- safety · PyPI
- Anchore • Container Security Solutions For DevSecOps
- Snyk | Develop fast. Stay secure.
- Single sign-on - Wikipedia
- Developer guide — Boto3 Docs 1.20.24 documentation
- AWS Developer Center | Python Tutorials, APIs, SDKs, Docs
- What is Apache Kafka? | AWS
- Test-driven development - Wikipedia
- pytest: helps you write better programs — pytest documentation
- Effective Python Testing With Pytest – Real Python
- Build a Content Aggregator in Python – Real Python
- pyenv/pyenv: Simple Python version management
- Managing Multiple Python Versions With pyenv – Real Python
- Poetry - Python dependency management and packaging made easy
- boltons — boltons 21.0.0 documentation
- Join the Real Python Community Slack – Real Python